Gingivitis is a very widespread and mild type of gum disease. It is fundamentally a type of gum disease. Anybody can get gingivitis regardless of age and gender. Sometimes symptoms are too mild to notice. But sometimes it can be a serious matter of concern if not treated on time. If you keep ignoring and do not take necessary measures, it can lead to tooth loss or serious infection like Periodontitis. According to NID and CDC research, Gingivitis can enhance the risks of premature baby delivery, lung disease, heart attack and diabetes. Is gingivitis contagious? Yes, it is.
In this article you will read:
- Symptoms of gingivitis
- Causes of Gingivitis
- 10 Ways of how to get rid of gingivitis
- Additional Tips to Prevent Gingivitis
What are the Symptoms of Gingivitis?
Following are the symptoms of gingivitis:
- receding gums
- loose teeth
- bad breath
- bad taste
- pain while chewing
- development of pus between teeth and gums
- pulling away of gums from any tooth
- bleeding from gums while you floss or brush
Causes of Gingivitis
Following are the causes of Gingivitis:
- One of the many important factors of Gingivitis is poor dental hygiene. It lets bacteria develop in your mouth. Some are harmful, and some are not.
- Food that contain high sugar
- Processed foods: They develop bad bacteria in your mouth. As a result, wearing down of gum tissues and jaw bones can take place.
- Hormonal Changes at the time of menopause, puberty and pregnancy can enhance the sensitiveness of gum.
- Diabetes deteriorates immune system which, as a result, lets bad bacteria to take control.
- Smoking harms gum tissues and also delays its treatment time.
- Family history with gingivitis is another factor as you will be more prone to gingivitis genetically. But if you take care of your oral health, the risk will be minimized.
- Excessive usage of tobacco (in any form)
- Broken Fillings
- Dry mouth
10 Ways of how to get rid of gingivitis
Following are the best ways if you want to know how to get rid of gingivitis:
Salt contains antibacterial and antiseptic characteristics and hence is very useful for curing gingivitis. It restrains the development of bacteria in the teeth and treats swollen gums. Put half teaspoon salt in hot water. Wash your mouth twice a day. You can also make a paste of salt and mustard oil. Apply the paste on the gums for a couple of minutes and then rinse mouth with water. Try this twice or thrice a day.
Curcumin is found in Turmeric that has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant characteristics. It can efficiently decrease inflammation, swelling, pain and plaque in the gums. Besides, it is also useful for decreasing bacterial activity to stop infection. Since turmeric mouthwash contains anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and anti-plaque properties, it is recommended for preventing gingivitis and plaque. It is better than chlorhexidine mouthwash.
Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder in the paste of mustard oil and salt (both half spoons). Massage it on gums two times a day. You can also brush your teeth with a paste of turmeric powder and water to prevent plaque. Gum pack is also very handy for teeth massage purpose. Add half teaspoon of turmeric powder with vitamin E oil. Massage your teeth and gums with this paste for ten minutes and then wash your mouth with warm water.
3. Oil Pulling
It is another popular technique to decrease bacteria that cause gingivitis. It is useful for improving oral health, making gums stronger and decreasing plaque. How to do it? Take coconut oil or sesame oil (one Tb spoon) in your mouth. Gargle for fifteen minutes. Throw it out and wash your mouth with lukewarm water. Try this every morning.
4. Baking Soda
Another way of how to get rid of gingivitis is Baking soda. The acids in the mouth can be neutralized by baking soda and hence there will be fewer chances of gum disease and tooth decay. It acts as an antiseptic to fight infections. How to use it? Add baking soda (one-fourth teaspoon) in warm water to create a paste. Massage your gums with this paste and then after few minutes, wash your mouth. Try this twice or thrice a day.
5. Lemon Juice
Lemons hold the properties of anti-inflammatory and antibacterial that is very useful in the treatment of teeth disease. They are excellent for preventing infection as vitamin C is found in it. Squeeze a fresh lemon in warm water. Gargle with this solution. Try this two-time every day to reduce receding gums and bleeding.
You can also add salt (one tablespoon) in lemon juice and form a paste. Massage your gums with this paste and wash mouth after a couple of minutes. You can try it four to five times every day.
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a natural plant species that act as both antifungal and antibacterial in the war against gingivitis. It is useful in reducing pain and inflammation of teeth. Extract pulp from a fresh leaf of Aloe Vera. Apply the pulp on your gums. After ten minutes, wash your mouth. Try it a couple of times a day.
7. Guava Leaves
If you want to reduce gum diseases and toothaches, then guava leaves are perfect for you. It works as an antiplaque, analgesic, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory agent. Chewing fresh guava leaves two times a day can be very effective. You can also make toothpaste by crushing the leaves.
Clove can be very effective to get rid of gingivitis because of its powerful analgesic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. Chewing a couple of cloves thrice a day is recommended for alleviating any a toothache. You can also apply clove oil on affected gums and then wash it off after some time. You can also rinse your mouth with the mixture of water and clove oil thrice a day.
Peppermint has both antiseptic and antibacterial characteristics and is very helpful to treat gingivitis. It lessens bacteria and inflammation of the mouth. Dip some fresh leaves of peppermint in water for thirty minutes and wash your mouth thrice a day. Another remedy is to drink peppermint tea. Peppermint toothpaste can also be used as antibacterial toothpaste.
10. Tea Tree Oil
Both anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties are found in tea tree oil. It is very useful for curing gingivitis. It can reduce inflammation and irritation in gums. You can also use it as toothpaste. If you are unable to find toothpaste with tea tree oil in it, then a couple of drops can be added to any regular toothpaste to make it effective for treating gums issues.
Additional Tips to Prevent Gingivitis
- Do not consume starchy food or foods containing sugar. They form bacteria in the mouth. They also cause gum infections and teeth decay.
- Consume more food that contains vitamin C. You can use approved vitamin C supplements or can consume fruits that contain vitamin C.
- Your diet must be nutritious and healthy. Eat more vegetables and fruits since that contain a high amount of antioxidants. They can improve your oral health and treat different gum diseases.
- As you know, smoking is a cause of infinite diseases and health issues. It is also a highly adverse cause of dental diseases. It deteriorates blood circulation due to which gums don’t get appropriate nutrition. Loss of teeth is also an outcome of tobacco consumption.
- Do not use a toothbrush for more than two months. Buy a new one after every two months. After two months, they become ineffective for cleaning gums properly and removing cavities.
- Every mouthwash is not beneficial. Ask your doctor to recommend the best mouthwash so that you may try it on a daily basis and get rid of gum diseases. It helps to get rid of plaque. Always buy natural mouthwash so that it does not harm you in any way.
- Consult a Dentist frequently. Frequent consultations with dentists are very helpful for improving oral health and preventing oral diseases. Get your teeth cleaned by dentist comprehensively. Consult a dentist after every few months.
- Flossing is essential as it cleans all the areas which are normally not accessible by a toothbrush. If you want to know how to get rid of periodontitis, then try flossing on a daily basis. Do it before brushing.
- Brush your Teeth every day. If you don’t brush your teeth daily, then you are inviting bacteria and gum diseases. You should brush twice a day: once when you wake up and once before going to sleep.
Oral health should not be taken lightly. Proper mouthwash, floss, and toothbrush must be used to get rid of gingivitis. Well, if you wear braces and want to know how to get rid of gingivitis with braces, then keep in mind that you have to follow the same ways mentioned above. Consult your dentist for professional help if gingivitis doesn’t go away.